Senior Research Fellow, IBEI
Esther Barbé is Professor of International Relations at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Prof. Barbé holds a doctorate in Political Sciences from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Her research areas focus on Spanish foreign policy, European Union foreign policy, Euro-mediterranean relations, international security, power transition and normative contestation in multilateral institutions. Her work has been published among other journals in International Affairs, European Journal of Public Policy, Cooperation and Conflict and Mediterranean Politics.
Prof. Barbé is member of the Scientific Council of the Real Instituto Elcano. She has also been a member of the Scientific Council of the European University Institute. She is a member of the International Advisory Council of various scientific journals, among them the European Journal of International Relations and the European Review of International Studies.
Since 2001, Prof. Barbé is director of the Consolidated Research Group "Observatori de Política Exterior Europea", acknowledged by the Generalitat de Catalunya (AGAUR). She has also participated as main researcher in the projects CHALLENGE (6th EU Framework Programme), EUPROX (National Plan I+D+i 2004-2007), DYNAMUS (National Plan I+D+i 2008-2011), EU-IANUS (National Plan I+D+i 2012-2015).
Background and education
- (1986) PhD in Political Sciences, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
- (1979) BA in Information Sciences, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- (1981) Diplôme International Relations section, Institut d'études Politiques, Sciences Po, París
- Euro-Mediterranean relations
- International Security
- Spanish and European Union's foreign policy
- Normative contestation in Europe: Implications for the EU in a changing global order (EU-NORMCON) (Head of project)
- Explaining Global India: a multi-sectoral PhD training programme analysing the emergence of India as a global actor (GLOBAL INDIA) (Head of project)
- Understanding EU-UN Relations (EUN-NET) (Researcher)
- 2016The EU policy responses to a shifting multilateral systemHoundmills Basingstoke Hampshire:Palgrave MacmillanLink
- 2016Contestación normativa y Consejo de Seguridad: la agenda mujeres, paz y seguridad o de la resolución 1325 a la resolución 2242Revista Española de Derecho Internacional,68 (2):103-132
- 2012The Challenge of Differentiation in Euro-Mediterranean Relations. Flexible Regional Cooperation or FragmentationLondon:Routledge
- 2009Multilateralism matters more than ever.Global Society,23 (2):191-203
- 2009Which rules shape the EU's external governance? Patterns of rule selection in foreign and security policiesJournal of European Public Policy,16(6):834-882Link
- 2008The EU as a modest 'force for good': the European Neighbourhood Policy.International Affairs,84 (1):81-96Link
- 2007Relaciones InternacionalesMadrid:Tecnos (3rd edition), 413 ppLink