Emili Aldabó Ortuño, IBEI Alumni 2009-11
Name and Last Name: Emili Aldabó Ortuño
Master studied at IBEI: Master's in International Relations
Current working company, position and city: Startup Project Manager Generalitat de Catalunya, Barcelona
1. Why did you choose the IBEI Master’s in International Relations?
After winning first sustainable project award for a final thesis of my engineering degree, I travelled to developing countries to learn about projects, with a great sensitivity towards social contribution, related to sustainable development
I was the Secretary of the board of the NGO SETEM-D (2008-2012) and volunteer from 2003 to 2012. I've coordinated the project of International Solidarity Camps in rural communities of the Dominican Republic and popular radios in Potosi (Bolivia) for 5 years.
I chose IBEI’s masters in order to gain in depth knowledge in these fields.
2. What is your experience at IBEI?
It was two intense years that I remember them very intensely. For me it was very positive to be part of the IBEI community.
3. Describe your career path since graduating from the IBEI
I’ve worked as a Project Manager for private companies, organizations and government in the development projects in strategic areas such entrepreneurship, innovation management, technology transfer and international fund raising.
I’ve worked as a Project Manager for innovation management and technology departments that has given me a deep view of business world. Also I’ve worked as a European Project Manager.
4. What is your professional experience (your current position, your main functions)?
Now, I’m working as advisor of global start-up's in the achievement of goals, strategic growth, scale up and promoting innovation processes.
- I have worked with more than 400 companies in the last 3 years.
- Creation of the BCN & Catalonia Startup Hub, the most complete directory of Catalan startups that gives international visibility of the Catalan entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Attendance to the main tech events for startups in the world.
- Manage a 3M € per year budget (including a 2M € grant to invest in startups).
- Supporting global start- ups and entrepreneurs in strategic growth, social impact, scale up, global focus and cooperation.
Also I’m advisor in BCN Checkpoint, a community-based centre for the detection of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, to help them define their organizations’ programs and actions more efficiently using management tools. IT renovation project that includes the change of servers and telecommunications systems and the implementation of new services
5. How did the master programme prepare you for the work you're doing now?
Master gave me an international dimension to my career.
6. Is this more or less what you pictured yourself doing after the master programme?
I’m fully satisfied with my expectations.
7. What advice would you give to current students who want to follow this career path? / Some advice to future IBEI students?
My recommendation is good planning and organization, especially during the essays deliveries.
8. What do you miss most about IBEI?
I miss my colleagues.