2018 edition | The Challenges of Internet Governance
15-19 October, 2018
Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (Barcelona)
The Autumn School on “The Challenges of Internet Governance” is a programme designed for graduate students and professionals keen to understand the impact of Internet on our society, economy and its future evolution, in addition to the multiple challenges and dimensions of Internet governance.
This first edition of the Autumn School is co-organized together with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the Consorci de Serveis Universitaris de Catalunya (CSUC) and IBEI.
The School will offer a multidisciplinary approach (both technical and sociopolitical) to understand the diverse crucial issues and complexities of Internet governance, from its technical foundation to the actors and governance processes as well as reflect on their impact on global society and economy.
The week-long School is divided in 5 specific day long interactive sessions led by first-rank social scientists, engineers, industry and institutions representatives and practitioners. A social programme for networking will complement the week, including a visit to the Barcelona Supercomputing Center Mare Nostrum.
The School will also serve as preparation to attend the ICANN63 Annual General Meeting in Barcelona (20th-25th October 2018), and join an ICANN student-track with specific activities during the meeting.
The School is structured in five areas, each of them comprising specialized sessions:
1. Internet as a revolution in the making: can it be governed?
- The political dimension of ICTs and the Internet
- A new role of governments and the emergence of multistakeholders in policy development and management of the Internet
- Internet governance fundamentals
2. Emerging technologies: challenges and opportunities
- The opportunities of blockchain
- Ethical challenges of AI and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- The promises of 5G
3. The technical foundations of Internet: strengths and weaknesses
- The fundamentals of Internet
- The Domain Name System and the role of TLDs
4. Cybersecurity, data protection and privacy
- The challenges of cybersecurity and cybercrime
- The debate between security and privacy
- The implementation of the GDPR
5. The political challenges of Internet governance and the example of ICANN as a multistakeholder model
- The governance of a new social reality
- The regulation of cyberspace
- The role of ICANN, an example of a new form of governance
Academic Programme Committee
- Prof. Josep Ibáñez, Universitat Pompeu Fabra & Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI)
- Dr. Jérôme Duberry, University of Geneva
- Prof. Maria Isabel Gandia, Consorci de Serveis Universitaris de Catalunya (CSUC)
- Andrea Beccalli, Stakeholder Engagement Director, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
MORE INFORMATION AND ENQUIRIES
Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI)
Ramon Trias Fargas, 25-27
08005 Barcelona (Spain)
Tel: (+34) 93 542 3030