Research Fellow, CIDOB
Barcelona Centre for International Affairs
Eduard Soler is a Senior Research Fellow at CIDOB (Barcelona Centre for International Affairs). Between 2016 and 2019, he was scientific coordinator of MENARA, a European project on geopolitical shifts in the Middle East and North Africa. He holds a PhD in International Relations from the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Dr. Soler i Lecha is a political scientist and a part-time lecturer in International Relations at the Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals and at Ramon Llull-Blanquerna University. From 2013 to 2017 he lead the El Hiwar project on Euro-Arab diplomacy at the College of Europe (Bruges) and in 2010 he was seconded to the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs as an advisor in the Direction General for the Mediterranean, the Maghreb and the Middle East. He has also advised in several occasions the Catalan government and the Barcelona local governments on Euro-Mediterranean affairs. His main areas of expertise are: Euro-Mediterranean relations, Turkey’s foreign and domestic politics, North African and Middle Eastern political dynamics, Spain's Mediterranean policy and security cooperation in the Mediterranean. He is a member of the Observatory of European Foreign Policy, FIMAM (the Spanish network of researchers working on Arab and Muslim studies), EuroMeSCo and the advisory boards of Mediterranean Politics and IEMed’s Mediterranean Yearbook.
Background and education
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Security in the Mediterranean
- Euro-Mediterranean relations
- 2019.La batalla de Estambul.CIDOB opinión,nº576, Mayo 2019Link
- 2012.Europa y el Mediterráneo: año cero?.Política Exterior,Vol. 26, Nº 145:130 -140
- 2011.La UE y Turquía: la adaptación a un mundo multipolar.
- 2011.Spain and the Mediterranean from Transatlantic Perspective.In:
ALIBONI et al.Southern European and the Mediterranean: National Approaches and Transatlantic Perspectives.GMFUS-IAI Mediterranean paper series,pp: 64-79.
- 2011.European Security Practices vis-à-vis the Mediterranean. Implications in Value Terms.DIIS Working Paper,n. 14
- 2011.The EU, Turkey and the Arab Spring: From Parallel Approaches to a Joint Strategy?.In:
TOCCI et al..Turkey and the Arab Spring: Implications for Turkish Foreign Policy from a Transatlantic Perspective.Washington: GMFUS:Mediterranean Paper Series, October 2011.
- 2011.The Western Mediterranean in 2020: Scenarios for regional security and cooperation after the Arab uprisings.Washigton: GMFUS:Mediterranean Paper Series, December 2011.