Oriol Costa Fernández
Senior Research Associate, IBEI
Associate Professor, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Oriol Costa is an Associate Researcher at IBEI since 2014. He is also Associate Professor of International Relations at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, where he co-ordinates the BA degree in International Relations. His research looks at the interaction between the European Union and international institutions, with a special interest on how the latter shape the ways in which the EU acts in the international arena. He also does research on international environmental politics. He has published two edited volumes (Palgrave), several articles at journals such as Journal of European Public Policy, Mediterranean Politics, Cooperation and Conflict, Politische Vierteljahresschrift, Cambridge Review of International Affairs, South European Society and Politics and others, as well as chapters in edited books (Palgrave, Springer, Routlede, Tecnos).
From 2007 to 2009 he held a Postdoctoral grant (Beatriu de Pinós, awarded by the Catalan regional govern) to conduct research at the Freie Universität Berlin (Arbeitsstelle Europäische Integration, OSI).
He teaches courses on the contemporary international system, international environmental politics, and IR theory. He is part of the Observatory of European Foreign Policy, a research group based at IBEI.
Background and education
- (2004) PhD Relaciones Internacionales, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
April and July 2017. Favourable report (merit in research) by AQU (Agència per la Qualitat del Sistema Universitat de Catalunya) on my research for the periods 2005-2010 and 2011-2016.
March 2012. Favourable report by AQU (Agència per la Qualitat del Sistema Universitari de Catalunya) to run for Associate professor positions.
October 2011. Favourable report by ANECA (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y Acreditación) to run for Senior Lecturer positions.
2006. Beatriu de Pinós Fellowship (Catalan government), 2006BP-A 100062.
- International environmental politics
- EU foreign policy
- EU and multilateral institutions
IBEI Research Clusters
- Envisioning a New Governance Architecture for a Global Europe (ENGAGE) (Researcher)
- The Emergence of European Sovereignty in a World of Systemic Rivalry: Strategic Autonomy and Permissive Consensus (EUSOV) (Coordinator | Contact person)
- 2021.The dog that did not bark: the EU and the clash between sovereignty and justice in the International Criminal Court.European Security,30 (2):402-417Link
- 2020.Politicization of EU Trade Policy across Time and Space.Politics and Governance,Vol 8, Nº 1Link
- 2018.Une Liaison Transnationale: Exploring the Role of NGOs in EU Foreign Policy-making on the ICC.Comparative European Politics,Link
- 2018.A research agenda on the politicization of EU external relations.Journal of European Public Policy,DOI: 10.1080/13501763.2018.1478878Link
- 2017.Assessing influence between International Organizations.In: R. Biermann and J.A. Koops (eds.).Palgrave Handbook of Inter-organizational Relations in World Politics.Houndmills Basingstoke Hampshire:Palgrave Macmillan,pp: 389-405.
- 2016.The EU policy responses to a shifting multilateral system.Houndmills Basingstoke Hampshire:Palgrave Macmillan.Link
- 2013.A force for and because of multilateralism. When is the EU a multilateralist actor in world society?.Journal of European Public Policy,20(8):1213-28Link