Head of Studies
I have been at IBEI since 2008. My research profile is at the intersection of the foreign policy of the European Union (EU) and international organisation. More specifically, it has centred on the EU as an actor in the multilateral system and my book Pursuing Effective Multilateralism… (Palgrave 2010) was one of the first in this field. I specialise in examining the capacity of the EU to operate in many different multilateral organisations, including the ILO, FAO, UN General Assembly and Security Council, the WTO and the IMF. I have worked in two research projects in this area, EU-Perform (funded by the European Science Foundation) and EUN-NET, a brand new Jean Monnet Network (2017-2019). I also work closely with colleagues at IBEI, including Esther Barbé, Oriol Costa and Elisabeth Johansson-Nogués in many projects on European foreign policy.
I teach one of the core courses of the Masters in International Relations, International Relations Theory, during the first semester, as well as a core course in the Master in International Development, Governance National and Global Institutions, also in first semester. I am also Head of Studies and Coordinator of the IR programme.
Background and education
- (1999) MSc in International Relations, London School of Economics
- (1997) BA Politics and Economics, School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)
- (2006) PhD in International Relations, London School of Economics
Professional memberships & affiliations
- International Studies Association (ISA)
- University Association of Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
- European Union Studies Association (EUSA)
- European Union foreign Policy
- International Relations
- International Organizations
IBEI Research Clusters
- Global Governance and the European Union: Future Trends and Scenarios (GLOBE) (Researcher)
- Envisioning a New Governance Architecture for a Global Europe (ENGAGE) (Coordinator)
- Reconceptualising European Power in an Era of Turmoil: contestation, relevance, sustainability (RENPET) (Coordinator | Contact person)
- The Emergence of European Sovereignty in a World of Systemic Rivalry: Strategic Autonomy and Permissive Consensus (EUSOV) (Researcher)
- 2017.The EU in the world: from multilateralism to global governance.In:
Hadfield A, Manners I, Whitman RG, editors.Foreign policies of EU member states: continuity and europeanisation.London:Routledge,pp: 16.Link
- 2016.The EU policy responses to a shifting multilateral system.Houndmills Basingstoke Hampshire:Palgrave Macmillan.Link
- 2015.‘Man overboard!’ Was EU influence on the maritime labour convention lost at sea?.Journal of European Public Policy,22 (9):1295-1315Link
- 2014.The EU and Human Rights Promotion.In: A. K. Aarstad, E. Drieskens, K. E. Jørgensen, K. V. Laatikainen & B. Tonra (eds.).The Sage Handbook of European Foreign Policy.SAGE (2014),pp: 820-834.
- 2013.How to Lose Friends and Alienate People’? The EU as a global social power.Journal of European Social Policy,Vol. 19(2):99-116Link
- 2013.The EU’s Performance in the International Labour Organization.Journal of European Integration,33(6):651-665Link
- 2013.The European Union and Multilateralism.In: K. E. Jørgensen & K. V. Laatikainen (eds.).Routledge Handbook on the European Union and International Institutions.London:Routledge,pp: 405-415.
- 2011.The performance of the European Union in the international labour organization.Journal of European Integration,33:6:651-665Link
- 2010.When European Union Member State voting cohesion does not matter: Lessons learnt about majoritarian decision-making from the ILO.Studia Diplomatica,62(1):55-73
- 2010.Pursuing Effective Multilateralism: The European Union, International Organisations and the Politics of Decision Making.Basingstoke:Palgrave.Link
- 2009.JESP Symposium: The European Union's global social role.Journal of European Social Policy,19(2):99-11Link
- 2009.Writing a new normative standard? EU member states and the drafting and ratification of ILO labour standards.In:
J. Orbie & L. Torrell, (eds.).The European Union’s Role in the World and the Social Dimension of Globalisation.Routledge,pp: 98-112.
- 2008.EU Actorness in the International Labour Organisation: Comparing declaratory and voting cohesion.Global Society,22(4):469-489