Vacancy | Director - CLOSED
The Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI) is seeking to appoint a new Director with the vision to lead the institute in the coming years, further consolidate its successful masters’ degree programmes and continue to expand its international research profile. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a track record of successful leadership in higher education, research institutions or similarly complex organizations, with a professional background and recognized expertise relevant to IBEI’s teaching needs and research mission.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. The director provides overall leadership and guidance for the institute. Reporting to the President and IBEI’s Board of Patrons, the Director leads the institute, directing, organising, and managing the human, scientific and financial resources in order to fulfil the institute’s mission and strategic plans.
He/she is expected to exercise broad responsibility for the scientific, academic, financial, philanthropic and overall direction of the institute. Among his/her duties, the Director will represent IBEI in all types of academic and social events, lead accreditation and evaluation processes, appoint programme coordinators and chair faculty committees to select key academic staff.
Applicants must demonstrate their capability to:
- Articulate a compelling vision for the Institute, building on its academic excellence and international reputation.
- Exercise collaborative and transparent leadership, with superb communication and interpersonal skills.
- Engage in strategic planning and operational oversight, with demonstrated consensus building competences.
- Supervise financial and managerial operations at the institute, and its long-term viability.
- Provide guidance and steer research activities across IBEI’s range of research areas.
- Manage and supervise internationally competitive postgraduate programmes.
- Play a key role in representing the institute externally and foster effective relationships with all relevant stakeholders.
- Create a positive work environment committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
In addition, applicants will be evaluated positively for:
- Experience in leading and successfully completing national and international research projects.
- Capacity to design and promote innovative graduate teaching and training programmes.
- In-depth knowledge of both national and international research systems - with a particular focus on European and Spanish programmes.
- Experience in the coordination of a university department, advanced degree programme, research group(s), research network(s), and/or inter-university committees, both nationally and internationally.
- Ability to attract competitive funding and external support, especially at the European level, and engage in fundraising activities.
IBEI has three working languages (English, Spanish and Catalan) and we therefore expect the Director to be fluent in all three, by the end of the second year at the latest.
The new director will be appointed for an initial period of four years, which can be extended for additional periods of equal duration. Salary and benefits will follow IBEI standards.
A selection committee will evaluate the candidates. The president will present the committee’s assessments to the IBEI Board of Trustees for a final appointment. The application process will guarantee candidate confidentiality.
The deadline to receive applications is October the 9th, 2023, 5pm CET.
Applications received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the selection committee.
Eligible applicants should be willing to attend a meeting in Barcelona with the selection committee right after the deadline.
Flexible, ideally January 2024.
🖊️ Applications must be submitted through the Application Form and it should include:
- A cover letter.
- A complete CV.
- A vision statement.
Informal enquiries are welcome at email@example.com