Secretary General, Metropolis
Jordi Vaquer is the Secretary General of Metropolis, the international association of major metropolises. Previous to that, he worked at the Open Society Foundations - OSF, a global philanthropical organization working on human rights, civil liberties and democratic practice, as Regional Director for Europe and Director for Foresight and Analysis. Before his work at OSF he was the director of CIDOB, the Barcelona Center for International Affairs, one of Southern Europe's leading international relations think tanks. Dr. Vaquer often offers commentary on international affairs in media and public events.
Background and education
- (2005) PhD in International Relations, London School of Economics
- (1997) Master of Arts in European Political Studies, College of Europe
- (1996) BSc in Political and Administration Sciences, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Professional memberships & affiliations
- Member of the Editorial Board of Afers Internacionals (Barcelona)
- Strategic Council of the European Policy Center (Brussels)
- Scientific Council of Real Instituto Elcano de Estudios Internacionales y Estratégicos (Madrid)
- Transparency International European Union Advisory Group (Brussels)
- European Council on Foreign Relations (London - Berlin)
- Non-state diplomacies
- European Politics
- Global Order
- Democratic innovation and social movements
- 2020.Democracies Under Stress.Journal of the British Academy,Volume 8, Issue 1Link
- 2016.Party Systems in Disarray, and the Emergence and Consolidation of New Actors in Southern Europe.Mediterranean Yearbook 2015,158-160Link
- 2014.Spain in the Mediterranean and the Middle East: the quest for security and status.In:
Garcia Cantalapiedra, D. and Pacheco Pardo, R.Contemporary Spanish Foreign Policy.London:Routledge.
- 2013.An Emerging and Globalised Atlantic Space.Scientific Paper,#31 'Atlantic Future'
- 2012.La Política de visados para el siglo XXI: más allá de la cola del visado.Barcelona:CIDOB.
- 2010.The Mediterranean in the EU's Spanish Presidency: A Priority in Turbulent Times.Mediterranean Politics,15:73-79
- 2009.Un estudio de redes en la política exterior española: las negociaciones pesqueras con Marruecos 2000-2001.Revista Española de Ciencia Política,20:49-74
- 2004.The European Union and Western Sahara.European Foreign Affairs Review,9:93-113
- 2003.The Domestic Dimension of EU External Policies: The Case of the EU- Morocco 2000-2001 Fisheries Negotiation.Mediterranean Politics,#8