Regional director for Europe, Open Society Foundations (OSF)
Jordi Vaquer is the Regional Director for Europe at the Open Society Foundations, a global philanthropical organization working on human rights, civil liberties and democratic practice. Previous to that, he was the director of CIDOB, the Barcelona Center for International Affairs, one of Southern Europe's leading international relations think tanks. Dr. Vaquer often offers commentary on European Affairs in Spanish and international media.
Background and education
- (2005) PhD in International Relations, London School of Economics
- (1997) Master of Arts in European Political Studies, College of Europe (Bruges, Belgium)
- (1996) BSc in Political and Administration Sciences, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Professional memberships & affiliations
- Member of the Editorial Board of Afers Internacionals (Barcelona)
- Strategic Council of the European Policy Center (Brussels)
- Scientific Council of Real Instituto Elcano de Estudios Internacionales y Estratégicos (Madrid)
- Transparency International European Union Advisory Group (Brussels)
- European Council on Foreign Relations (London - Berlin)
- EU relations with its close neighbours (Magreb, Western Balkans, Eastern Neighbourhood)
- Cooperation in the Atlantic Basin (Europe, Africa and the Americas)
- Democratic innovation and social movements
- 2014.Spain in the Mediterranean and the Middle East: the quest for security and status.In: Garcia Cantalapiedra, D. and Pacheco Pardo, R..Contemporary Spanish Foreign Policy.London:Routledge.
- 2013.An Emerging and Globalised Atlantic Space.Scientific Paper #31 'Atlantic Future',
- 2012.La Política de visados para el siglo XXI: más allá de la cola del visado.Barcelona:CIDOB.
- 2010.The Mediterranean in the EU's Spanish Presidency: A Priority in Turbulent Times.Mediterranean Politics,15:73-79
- 2009.Un estudio de redes en la política exterior española: las negociaciones pesqueras con Marruecos 2000-2001.Revista Española de Ciencia Política,20:49-74
- 2004.The European Union and Western Sahara.European Foreign Affairs Review,9:93-113
- 2003.The Domestic Dimension of EU External Policies: The Case of the EU- Morocco 2000-2001 Fisheries Negotiation.Mediterranean Politics,#8