Sector Manager, Integration and Trade, IDB
Antoni Estevadeordal is the Manager of the Integration and Trade Sector of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB). He has expertise in trade policy, economic integration and regional cooperation in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC), Asia-Pacific and Europe. He coordinates IDB’s operational program and technical assistance, support to regional initiatives, policy research agenda and capacity building, as well as several public-private policy dialogues and inter-institutional partnerships (WTO, WCO, ADB, EU, UN, OECD, APEC, ICTSD, WEF, etc.) to promote trade and investment, economic integration and regional cooperation in LAC. Before joining the IDB he taught at the University of Barcelona and Harvard University. He has published widely in major journals such as American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, Review of International Economics, Review of World Economics, Journal of Economic Integration, World Economy. He has co-authored and co-edited several books such as The Sovereign Remedy: Trade Agreements in a Globalizing World (Oxford UP), Regional Rules in the Global Trading System (Cambridge UP), Bridging Trade Agreements in the Americas (IDB), The Emergence of China: Opportunities and Challenges for Latin America (Harvard UP), The Origin of Goods: Rules of Origin in Preferential Trade Agreements (Oxford UP), Regional Public Goods: From Theory to Practice (IDB-ADB), Integrating the Americas: FTAA and Beyond (Harvard UP). He is a Nonresident Senior Fellow at Brookings Institution, member of the WEF Global Council Agenda on the Future of Logistics and the E-15 ICTSD/WEF initiative. He is a Spanish citizen and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University and a B.A. in Economics from the University of Barcelona.
Background and education
- (1993) PhD Economics, Harvard University
- (1990) MA Economics, Harvard University
- (1985) BA Economics, University of Barcelona
1986. Premio extraordinario. Facultad de Ciencias Economicas
Professional memberships & affiliations
- Non resident fellow, Brooking Institution
- Co-convener, E15 Initiative, ICTSD/WEF
- International Trade
- Development Economics
- 2017.(ed.) 21st Century Cooperation: Regional Public Goods, Global Governance, and Sustainable Development Routledge.Routledge.
- 2015.(ed.) New Frontiers in Asia-Latin America Integration..Sage Publications (IDB/ADB publication).
- 2013."Is the Washington Consensus Dead? Growth, Openness and the Great Liberalization, 1970s-200s”.Review of Economics and Statistics,Vol. 95, No. 5
- 2009.(ed.) Regional Rules in the Global Trading System..Cambridge University Press (IDB/WTO publication).
- 2009.Bridging Trade Agreements in the Americas.Washington, D.C:Inter-American Development Bank.
- 2009.The Sovereign Remedy: Trade Agreements in a Globalizing World.Oxford University Press.
- 2008.“Does Regionalism Affect Trade Liberalization Towards Non-Members?”.Quarterly Journal of Economics,Vol. 123, No.4
- 2006.The Emergence of China: Opportunities and Challenges for Latin America.Washington D.C.:Harvard University Press and Inter-American Development Bank.
- 2003.“The Rise and Fall of World Trade, 1870-1939”.Quarterly Journal of Economics,Vol. 118, No. 2
- 2002.“A Century of Missing Trade?”.American Economic Review,Vol.92, No 1