I am an associate professor at IBEI, where I teach Advanced Research Methods (first and second semester), Game Theory (second semester) and International Political Economy (first semester).
I hold a degree in international relations from Science Po Paris (cum laude), a master's from the London School of Economics, and a PhD from the European University Institute of Florence (Best Inter-Disciplinary Thesis Award, 2006-2008).
My research focuses on European Union politics (history and institutions of European integration), political economy (the theory of incentives/conditionality; and the politics of antitrust policies), and nationalism (intellectuals and nationalism).
My work has appeared in Acta Politica, Cuadernos Europeos de Deusto, European Law Journal, European Political Science Review, European Union Politics, German Politics and Society, Global Policy, Journal of Common Market Studies, Journal of European Public Policy, and chapters in books with Cambridge University Press, Centro de Estudios Políticos y Constitucionales, European Union Democracy Observatory, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, and Routledge.
I often contribute to current-affairs debates, including in newspapers Ara, Athens News, El Correo de Bilbao, Financial Times, Heraldo de Aragón, Kathimerini, and La Vanguardia; radio stations Catalunya Rádio, Onda Cero, RAC1, Radio France International, and Sky; and TV stations 3/24, 8TV, Canal 24 horas, CNN Türk, TV3, and TVE1.
I speak English, French, Greek, Italian, and Spanish, and I can get by in Catalan.
Background and education
- (2007) PhD in Political Science, European University Institute, Florence
- (2002) Diploma in Competition Policy, Nottingham
- (1997) MSc in European Studies, London School of Economics
- (1996) BSc in International Studies (cum laude), Science Po, Paris
2016. Spanish Ministry Research Grant
2010. Spanish Ministry Research Grant
2007. EUI Best Thesis Award
2005. Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship
- European Union
- International Relations
- Political Economy
- 2016.Decision-Making in the European Union - Or, the Meticulous Design of Power Dispersion.Cuadernos Europeos de Deusto,55/2016:119-143Link
- 2016.The Origins of the Common Market: Political Economy vs. Hagiography.JOURNAL OF COMMON MARKET STUDIES,54(2):233-248
- 2015.Social Democratic Parties and Antitrust Policy: Evidence from Western Europe (2002-2013).European Political Science Review,
- 2015.On the Conditional Success of International Conditionality Policies.Global Policy,6 (3):212-221
- 2013.The Causes and Consequences of the Collegial Implementation of European Competition Law.European Journal Law,682-704
- 2013.The Origins of European Competition Policy: Redistributive vs. Ideational Explanations.Journal of European Public Policy,20 (5):777-794
- 2013.The Elysee Treaty and European Integration Theory.German Politics and Society,31 (1):48-69
- 2011.The New Institutions of Transatlantic Aviation.Global Policy,2 (2):152-162
- 2010.Collegiality and the Politics of European Competition Policy.EUROPEAN UNION POLITICS,11(1):143-164.
- 2010.Political Analyses of European Competition Policy.JOURNAL OF EUROPEAN PUBLIC POLICY,17(4):599-611
- 2010.The New Institutions of Transatlantic Aviation.IBEI Working Papers,2010/32.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
- 2009.Still in the Era of Area Studies? Political-Scientific Perspectives on European Competition Policy.IBEI Working Papers,2009/24.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
- 2008.Why the EU does not Have an Independent Competition Agency: French Interests and Transaction Costs.IBEI Working Papers,2008/18.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PAPERS AND INVITED PRESENTATIONS
I have been a guest speaker at the American University of Rome, the Austrian Academy of Sciences, the BMW Center for German and European Studies at Georgetown University, the Centre of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona (CCCB), the Centro de Estudios Políticos y Constitucionales, the Cultural Center of the Municipality of Athens, ESADE Business School, ESADE Law School, the European Parliament, the European University Institute of Florence, the London School of Economics and Political Science, the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, the University of East Anglia, the University of Exeter, the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, and the University of Zaragoza.
I have also presented research papers in more than 50 international conferences of the European Consortium for Political Science, the Council for European Studies, the European Union Studies Association, the European Political Science Association, etc.