Policy Brief | Urban and metropolitan policies in the global sphere
Between July 4 and 7, 2022, the seminar "Urban and metropolitan policies in the global sphere" took place in Barcelona, jointly organized by IBEI, ONU-Hábitat and the Área Metropolitana de Barcelona (AMB). It sought to familiarize the participants with a general vision of the main challenges of the governance of urban areas. Combining an academic and practical approach, the seminar made possible to identify relevant global processes and trends for local and metropolitan authorities. The sessions also offered methods to think about the contemporary challenges facing cities from an international perspective, considering the dynamics that are defining the political and social reality of our time.
A report has been prepared summarizing the main points addressed in the course sessions by IBEI researchers and specialists from UN-Habitat.
- The first session was given by Robert Kissack, head of studies and associate professor at IBEI, and covered the role of cities and urban areas in international politics.
- In the second session, Remy Sietchiping and Rafael H. Forero H. from UN-Habitat presented evidence on the metropolitan phenomenon at the global and regional levels, as well as its relevance for sustainable urban development.
- The third session focused on the role of urban areas in international climate policy, led by Oriol Costa, UAB-IBEI researcher and course coordinator.
- The fourth session was led by the UN-Habitat team of specialists, where Remy Sietchiping, Maria del Pilar Téllez and Rafael H. Forero H. spoke about metropolitan management and the key aspects of governance, planning and regulation of urban areas.
- Finally, the fifth session was on the evaluation of public policies by Frank-Borge Wietzke, associate professor at IBEI.
- The seminar ended with a workshop facilitated by UN-Habitat for the identification of challenges and opportunities in metropolitan management, applied to practical cases proposed by the technical teams of the Barcelona Metropolitan Area.