Research Professor, IBEI
Emeritus Professor, University of Sussex
is Research Professor at IBEI and Emeritus Professor of Sussex University, UK. He is the author of War and Genocide, What is Genocide, Genocide in International Relations and has recently published “Russia’s Genocidal War in Ukraine: Radicalization and Social Destruction”, which is openly available online from the Journal of Genocide Research.
Background and education
- (1993) PhD (Sociology of International Relations and War), University of Hull
- (1968) BA Hons. (Sociology), London School of Economics and Political Science
- Historical Sociology
- Global politics
- Armed Conflicts
Conceptual History, Concept Formation and the ‘Problems of Genocide’
Class and ‘Political Genocide’
- 2023.Russia’s Genocidal War in Ukraine: Radicalization and Social Destruction.Journal of Genocide Research,DOI: 10.1080/14623528.2023.2185372Link
- 2022.Political Racism: Brexit and Its Aftermath.Newcastle upon Tyne:Agenda Publishing.Link
- 2020.Racial self-interest, Max Weber and the production of racism: the strategy and propaganda of Vote Leave during the Brexit referendum.Patterns of Prejudice,54(4):347-365Link
- 2016.Israel Charny’s attack on the Journal of Genocide Research and its authors: a response.Genocide Studies and Prevention: An International Journal,10 (2):3-22Link
- 2015.What is Genocide? (Second edition).Cambridge:Polity.Link
- 2013.Genocide and International Relations: Changing Patterns in the Transition of the Late Modern World.New York:Cambridge University Press.Link
- 2005.The New Western Way of War: Risk-Transfer War and its Crisis in Iraq.Polity.Link
- 2003.War and Genocide: Organised Killing in Modern Society.Oxford:Polity.Link
- 2000.Theory of the Global State: Globality as Unfinished Revolution.Cambridge Studies in International Relations,73Link
- 1996.Civil Society and Media in Global Crises: Representing Distant Violence.London:Pinter Publishers.
- 1994.Global Society and International Relations: Sociological Concepts and Political Perspectives.Link
- 1991.Post-Military Society: Militarism, Demilitarisation and War and the End of the Twentieth Century.Philadelphia:Temple University Press.