Global Affairs Summer Scholars Programme
2018 edition of the Global Affairs Summer Scholars Programme
July 2-6, 2018
The Global Affairs Summer Scholars Programme (GASS) is an intensive, one-week pre-university programme in international affairs for IB and Baccalaureate students.
GASS is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for students to gain first-hand exposure to International Affairs and its exciting sub-disciplines, while also getting a first taste of their future life as a university student.
The programme is taught in English, and jointly offered by the Barcelona International Public Policy Hub (BIPP HUB) and the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI).
Course Dates and Locations
Deadline for Applications
The deadline for applications is June 1, 2018.
BENEFITS OF THE GASS PROGRAMME
GASS is an opportunity for you to:
- Use your English language skills in a practical context
- Work collaboratively with highly motivated peers
- Add a course that will enhance your CV
- Demonstrate motivation and commitment on university applications
- Strengthen key communication skills
- Join a peer network that can be an ongoing resource
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AS A STUDENT?
To Be Prepared
You will get a taste of life as a university student and develop the critical thinking skills needed to succeed in their future academic studies.
To Be Guided
Over the course of the week, you will be exposed to the various career and internship options in International Affairs and will receive first-hand advice and guidance from experienced practitioners, world-renowned professors and experts in fields such as human rights, international law, diplomacy, international development, conflict prevention, and the environment.
To Be Inspired
Classes will take place in the unique setting of the Sant Pau Modernista Complex, a UNESCO World Heritage site that is home to many leading international institutions. Classes will also take place on the campus of Pompeu Fabra University, one of Spain’s top-ranked universities and only a 5-minute stroll to the sea.
To Be Challenged
GASS is a demanding summer study experience that offers an in-depth exposure to International Affairs at a level that is similar to what you will experience in university.
To Be Motivated
You get to work alongside other talented and motivated peers who share your interest in International Affairs.
Seminars will be delivered by leading international academics and practitioners.
- Robert Kissack, Associate Professor and Head of Studies, IBEI
- Robert Templer, Director, Shattuck Center on Conflict, Negotiation and Recovery, Central European University, Founder, Higher Education Alliance for Refugees (HEAR)
- Andrea Bianculli, Assistant Professor, IBEI
- Mark Freeman, Executive Director, Institute for Integrated Transitions
- Oriol Costa, Lecturer UAB & Research Fellow IBEI
- Frank Borge Wietzke, Assistant Professor, IBEI
- Francesc Badia i Dalmases, Director and Chief Editor, Democracia Abierta
- Helena Puig Larrauri, Director, Build Up
- Marta Iñiguez de Heredia – Marie Curie Fellow, IBEI
Students will participate in seminars that examine key issues in the sub-disciplines of International Affairs. Seminar titles will include:
- The Study of International Relations
- Global Order in Transition
- Refugees and Global Migration
- International Security
- Security in Africa
- Human Rights and Transitional Justice
- International Environmental Politics
- Paris, Trump, China – Climate Change Politics
- Conflict Prevention and Conflict ResolutioN
- International Development
- The Rise of the BRICS
- Globalisation and the Use of Technology and Social Media
- International Political Economy
- Latin American Politics
- Technology as a tool in Peacebuilding
FORMAT (Typical Schedule)
|09:00 - 10:15||Morning Seminar|
|10:15 - 10:30||Break|
|10:30 - 11:45||Morning Seminar|
|11:45 - 12:00||Break|
|12:00 - 13:30||Case Study Group Work|
|13:30 - 14:45||Lunch|
|14:45 - 16:00||Afternoon Seminar|
|16:00 - 16:15||Break|
|16:15 - 17:30||Afternoon Seminar|
PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATE AND LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
Students who successfully complete the course will receive a Global Affairs Summer Scholars Certificate that acknowledges their participation in the GASS Program. Students who make an exceptional contribution may also qualify for a recommendation letter that can be used in support of university and professional internship applications. The Program does not award grades or course credit.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINE
The application deadline is June 1, 2018. Early application is recommended, as applications are reviewed as soon as they are received and enrolment is limited. Applications will only be accepted when submitted online to: email@example.com.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Letter of Interest in English (maximum 400 words) explaining their motivation for participating in the programme
The tuition fee is 600EUR. BIPP HUB and IBEI are committed to making the GASS Program affordable to all motivated students who qualify and will offer reductions in the tuition fee where needed, as well as flexible payment options permitting the tuition to be paid over three months.
*Seminar topics and instructors may be subject to change