National Research University Higher School of Economics (Russia)
Research Affiliate, Institute for Economic Analysis (CSIC-IAE)
Datos de contacto
Anastassia V. Obydenkova is a leading research fellow at National Research University Higher School of Economics (Moscow), and a research affiliate at the Institute for Economic Analysis of the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (Barcelona). She holds a PhD in Political and Social Science from the European University Institute (Florence, 2006). She was awarded Fox Fellowship at Yale University, Fung Global Fellowship at Princeton University, and she was Kathryn and Shelby Cullom Davis Senior Research Scholar at Harvard University.
She studies modern autocracies, international organizations, regionalism, democratization, post-Communism, with area-focus on former Soviet states and China. Her work on these topics had been published in such journals as World Politics, Comparative Political Studies, Post-Soviet Affairs, Review of International Organizations, Intelligence, Environmental Research, Democratization, European Journal of Political Research and Journal of Democracy, among others.
Among her most recent books are Autocratic and Democratic External Influences in Post-Soviet Eurasia (Ashgate; co-edited with A. Libman, 2015), Causes and Consequences of Democratization (Routledge: London-New York; co-authored with A. Libman, 2015; 2017) and latest book with A. Libman is The Authoritarian Regionalism in the World of International Organizations: Global Perspective and Eurasian Enigma, that is under the contract with Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- (2006) PhD, European University Institute (Florence, Italy)
- (2001) MA, Central European University (Budapest, Hungary)
- (2001) Diploma Cum Laude in Foreign Languages, Moscow Lomonosov State University
- (1998) Diploma Suma Cum Laude in Political Science, Moscow Lomonosov State University
- 2016. Fung Global Fellow at Princeton University
- 2015. Senior Researcher at Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard University Enlace
- 1999. Fox Fellowship at Yale University
Líneas de investigación
- Relaciones Internacionales
- Política comparada
- Democratización y autocracias
- Organizaciones internacionales regionales
- Organizaciones internacionales
- Estudios Regionales
- Estudios de China
- Post-Comunismo y legados históricos
Publicaciones más destacadas
- 2019.Authoritarian Regionalism in the World of International Organizations: Global Perspective and the Eurasian Enigma.Oxford University Press.Enlace
- 2018.Regional International Organizations as a Strategy of Autocracy: The Eurasian Economic Union and Russian foreign policy.Accepted and Forthcoming, International Affairs (Oxford University Press),
- 2018.Authoritarian Regionalism.Journal of Democracy,Vol. 29, October, Issue 4
- 2018.Corruption and Trust in the European Union and National Institutions: Changes over the Great Recession across European States.Journal of Common Market Studies,Vol. 56, Issue 3,:594-611Enlace
- 2016.Appropriation and Subversion: Pre-communist literacy, Communist Party Saturation, Post-Communist Democratic Outcomes.World Politics,Vol. 68, Issue 2:229-274
- 2016.Authoritarian and Democratic Diffusion in Post-Communist Regions.Comparative Political Studies Sage (Political Studies Association),Vol 49, Issue 12:1599 - 1629Enlace
- 2015.Causes and Consequences of Democratization: the Regions of Russia.London-New York (re-printed in paperback due to high demand):Routledge.
- 2015.Autocratic and Democratic External Influences in Post-Soviett Eurasia.Surrey and Burlington:Ashgate.Enlace
- 2012.Democratization at the Grassroots: the European Union's External Impact.Democratization,Issue 19, Number 2:230-257
- 2008.Regime Transition in the Regions of Russia: The Freedom of Mass Media: Transnational Impact on Sub-National Democratization?.European Journal of Political Research,Number 47, Issue 2:221-246
Conferencias y charlas
- 2018, 14 November – Invited by Pr. Alexander Cooley to Present “The Impact of Post-Communist Democratization” at Columbia University, New York.
- 2018, 12 November – Invited by Pr. David Cameron to Present “The Impact of Post-Communist Democratization: Global, Regional, Local” at Yale University
- 2018, 25 April – Invited to present: “Impact of Post-Communist Transition” by Pr. Joshua Tucker, Jordan Center for the Advanced Study of Russia, New York University.
- 2018, 26-27 April – Invited to present “Autocratic Regionalism” at Fung Global Workshop at the Institute of International and Regional Studies, Princeton University
- 2017, 7-8 December – Co-director, Organizer, Presenter of Oxford Workshop on “Regionalism” Nuffield College of Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- 2017, 6 December – Invited to present by Pr. Roy Allison “The Challenge of Authoritarian Regionalism” at St. Anthony College of Oxford University, Oxford, UK.
- 2017, 16-17 November, Invited to preset at Conference “Democracy and Authoritarianism: Rethinking the Boundary” at the University of Lyon, France.
- 2017, 21 Febr.: ¨Democracy and International Trust” at Fung Fellow Seminar at the Institute for International and Regional Studies of Princeton University, NJ, USA
- 2016, 26 October – Invited by Director of Davis Center Pr. Rawi Abdelal to present “Historical Legacies and Survival of post-Communist Corruption” to the Comparative Politics Seminar, Faculty of Arts and Science, Harvard University.
- 2016, 19 May – Invited by Pr. Larry Diamond to Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law, Freeman Institute of Stanford University to present “International Dimension of Autocratization”, Stanford, California, USA.
- 2016, 20 April – Invited to present at the Fellows Seminar Theme: Mobility, Boundaries, and the Production of Power in Eurasia. Paper: “Autocratic Diffusion in Eurasia: Mobility and the Production of Power” of Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- 2016, 16 February – Invited by Professor A. Cooley, Director of Harriman Institute to present: “International Dimension of Autocratization in post-Soviet Eurasia” in the Columbia University of New York, New York, USA.
- 2016, 5 February – Invited to present “Authoritarian and Democratic Diffusion in Post-Communist Regions” at Post-Communist Working Group at Faculty of Arts and Science of Harvard University, Cambridge, USA.
- 2016, 2 February – Invited to present by Prof. Robert Orttung to the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies of the Elliott School of International Affairs of George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2016, 22 January –Invited by Director Pr. Andrew Konitzer, Center for Russian and East European Studies to present “International Dimension of Autocratic and Democratic Factors in Post-Soviet Regions”, the University of Pittsburgh, US.
- 2016, 15 January – Invited by Director Pr. Randall Stone to present: “The Great Recession, Corruption, and Trust in Europe” at Peter D. Watson Seminars of the Center for Conflict and Cooperation University of Rochester, Rochester New York, USA.
- 2015, 8-11 July – Invited by Pr. Alina Mungiu-Pippidi to Hertie School of Governance, Conference: “Understanding Governance Virtuous Circle: Who succeeded and why?” to present “Anti-corruption Reforms in Putin´s Russia”, Berlin, Germany.
- 2014, 4 December - Invited by Director Pr. Vladimir Gelman to the Center for the Russian Studies, the Aleksanteri Institute of the University of Helsinki, Finland.
- 2013 - Invited by Pr. Carlos Closa to present “Autocratic and Democratic External Influences: Multi-Level Approach to regime transition” at CSIC Madrid, Spain.
- 2012, 14-15 June: Invited to present “The Role of International Factors in Sub-National Regime Transition and Decentralization”, the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 2012 - Invited to present “New Tendencies of Federalism in Russia” at III Observatory: “Recent trends of decentralization in Eastern Europe” by Fundación Manuel Giménez Abad, Cortes de Aragón, Zaragoza.
- 2011 - Invited to present “Democratization at the Grassroots: the EU’s External Impact” Brown Bag Seminar of Jena Graduate School, The Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Jena, Germany.
- 2011 - Invited speaker “Rethinking the Nature of External Factor in Regime Transition”, Garcia Pelayo Seminars, the Centre for Political & Constitutional Studies, Madrid.
- 2011 - Invited to present “External Politics of the European Union: Europe in the World” at the Seminar of the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, Germany.
- 2010 – Invited to present “The European Dimension in Eurasian Context: The Quality of Democracy” by University of Luxembourg, Consortium for Comparative Research on Regional Integration and Social Cohesion University of Luxembourg.
- 2008– Invited to Universidad del Pais Vasco “New Perspectives on Sub-State Diplomacy: Towards a New Research Agenda”; Paper presented: “Sub-State Diplomacy and Regionalization in PSSs” (5 Dec.) Bilbao, Spain.
- 2008 – Invited by Sonja Waltli to the Conference Balancing Federal System: Implications for Politics and Policy to present “Regionalism and regionalization in post-Soviet Eurasia”, Hertie School of Governance; Berlin, Germany.
- 2007 – 24 Dec. Invited to present “Regionalism and Regional Cooperation in Post-Soviet Eurasia: Russia, Central Asia, and Caucasus” at the Davis Center Institute for International Relations of the University of Jerusalem (Israel).