Jean Monnet Professor & Associate Professor, University of Catania
PhD in International Relations, Associate Professor of Political Science (University of Catania) and Holder of the Jean Monnet Chair EUMedEA. Teaches Mediterranean Politics and Institutions of Global Trade at the University of Catania, Migration in the Mediterranean at LUISS-Rome. Her main research interests are: Mediterranean migration crisis, EU foreign policy, EU relations with the Middle East and North Africa. She authored 'L'Unione Europea 'potenza divisa' nel Mediterraneo' (EGEA, Milano, 2012), edited 'Sulle onde del Mediterraneo: cambiamenti globali e risposte alla crisi migratoria' (EGEA, 2016), and co-edited with Rosa Rossi 'Winds of Democratic Change in the Mediterranean? Actors, Processes and Outcomes' (Rubbettino, Soveria-Mannelli, 2012). She published for Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies: 'The EU and Migration in the Mediterranean. EU Borders’ Control by Proxy', online 2019; for Contemporary Italian Politics: 'The Mediterranean Migration Crisis: Humanitarian practices and migration governance in Italy', online 2019; for Third World Quarterly: 'When Responsibility to Protect ‘hits home’: The EU and the Syrian crisis (with Iole Fontana), 2018, 39: 1, pp. 1-17. She authored 'Intercultural Dialogue across the Mediterranean Troubled Waters: Challenges to the Anna Lindh Foundation', in Richard Gillespie and Frederic Volpi (editors), Handbook of Mediterranean Politics London/New York, Routledge, 2018, pp. 394-407. She is currently editing a Special Issue for International Politics with Benjamin Tallis on 'Shifting Borders of European (In)Securities: Human Security, Border (In)Security and Mobility in Security'. Her academic research relies mainly upon qualitative analysis, based upon document analysis and interviews.
Background and education
- (1998) PhD, University of Padova
- 2017. EISA Honorary membership. Link
Professional memberships & affiliations
- ECPR SGEU and ECPR SGIR
- Mediterranean politics
- Migration Studies
- EU relations with its close neighbours
Local research unit: HORIZON 2020, Call: H2020-SC6-MIGRATION-2018-2019-2020, Research Project on: ‘The Right To International Protection: A Pendulum Between Globalization And Nativization?’ - Protect, coordinated by prof. Hakan Sicakkan, Universitetet I Bergen
Research unit: Piano per la Ricerca 2016-2018, Research Project ‘La politica italiana di visti asilo e migrazione tra dinamiche interne ed esterne. Idee, attori, processi’, Università di Catania
- 2019.L’Italia e i flussi migratori nel Mediterraneo Centrale: lo snodo libico.In:
Baldinetti Anna, Cassarino Mirella, Maimone Giuseppe, Melfa Daniela (a cura di).Oltre-confine. Temi e fonti per lo studio dell’Africa.Roma:Aracne.
- 2019.The Mediterranean Migration Crisis: Humanitarian practices and migration governance in Italy.Contemporary Italian Politics,online first, in print 2020
- 2019.The EU and Migration in the Mediterranean. EU Borders’ Control by Proxy.Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies,online first, in print 2020
- 2018.Intercultural Dialogue across the Mediterranean Troubled Waters: Challenges to the Anna Lindh Foundation.In:
Richard Gillespie and Frederic Volpi (editors).Handbook of Mediterranean Politics.London/New York:Routledge,pp: 394-407. ISBN HB: Hardback 978-1-138-90398-2, ebook 978-1-315-69657-7.Link
- 2018.When Responsibility to Protect ‘hits home’: The EU and the Syrian crisis.Third World Quarterly,vol. 39, issue 1:1-17Link
- 2017.The 60th anniversary of the EU: a new élan for the EU… or maybe not.Global Affairs,3:1:1-3Link
- 2012.L'Unione Europea "potenza divisa" nel Mediterraneo.Milano:Egea. ISBN: 978-88-238-4348-6.
- 2009.L’Unione Europea nel sistema politico globale, [in chinese].Beijing:Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
- 2003.A New Euro-Mediterranean Cultural Identity.London:Frank Cass.
- 2000.Il lobbying europeo.Milano:Giuffré.
INVITED LECTURES AND CONFERENCES
Invited Speaker: SISP Annual Conference, Plenary Session Round Table on ‘L’Italia di fronte alle migrazioni: molta politicizzazione, poche politiche?’, Lecce 12-14 September 2019.
Invited Speaker: Conference ‘Gli ultimi vent’anni d’Europa’, organized by Centro di Eccellenza Jean Monnet Punto Europa, c/o Università di Bologna, Campus di Forlì, 9 maggio 2019. Talk: La costruzione del confine esterno: politica estera e immigrazione.
Invited Expert: International Workshop ‘Eu-Turkey cooperation on migration management: going beyond ad hoc short-termism’, organized by Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI) together with Istanbul Policy Center (IPC) and Mercator Stiftung within the Global Turkey in Europe V Programme, Kos - 6th May 2019.
Invited Speaker: 3rd EUMIGRO Conference, Jean Monnet Module EUMIGRO, ‘Migration and integration in the European Union – facts, figures, challenges and policy responses’, 26 March 2019, SGH Warsaw School of Economics, Warsaw. Keynote Speech: The EU and Mediterranean Migration: when politics (un)makes policy.
Invited Discussant of the IAI study ‘Italy in the Mediterranean: Priorities and perspectives of a European middle-power Italy in the Mediterranean: Priorities and perspectives of a European middle-power’ by Silvia Colombo and Anja Palm, presentation organized by FEPS and EYU, Palermo, 15th February 2018.
Invited Expert: REMENA Expert Meeting ‘Assessing the Impacts of Climate Change on Migration’ in collaboration with: Regional Program on Energy Security and Climate Change Middle East and North Africa – Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung & Research Laboratory « Culture, Language, Education, Migration and Society», Faculty of Letters and Human Sciences – Mohammed V University of Rabat, November 30th to December 1st, 2018, Rabat, Morocco.