Florida International University (USA)
Cátedra Telefónica visiting research fellow
Dr. Silvia Elaluf-Calderwood is a Telecommunications and Internet expert. Currently a Visiting Scholar at Florida International University (Miami) and Professor at the iSchool at Syracuse University (NYC). For 2018 she is the holder of the Catedra Telefonica IBEI Research Fellowship (Barcelona, Spain). She also has hold positions as Research Fellow (Oxford Brookes and the London School of Economics and Political Science- LSE) with many years of experience in both academic and industry research projects. She also has wide experience in the telecommunications industry in the UK and Europe. A professional engineer (BSc, Diploma and MSc from Imperial College London) and Cisco certifications in network design and support. Her PhD was completed at the Information Systems Group - Department of Management at the LSE. Area of specialization: Mobile Work and Mobile technology.
Background and education
- (2009) PhD, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
- (1994) MSc, Imperial College of Science,Technology and Engineering
- (1993) BSc(Eng), Pontificia Universidad Catolicadel Peru (PUCP)
- (2018) Cátedra Telefónica IBEI's Research Fellowship recipient for 2018.
- (2013) Emerald Literati Network 2013 Awards of Excellence for the paper “The blackberry veil: mobile use and privacy practices by young female Saudis.
- (2013) NEMODE Grant on Near Field Communications and Business Models.
- (2013) Sustainable Society Network+ Grant to study APIs and NGN sustainability.
- (1993) MSc scholarship (fees and living expenses) awarded by the British Council to study at Imperial College London.
Professional memberships & affiliations
- British computer Society
- Business models
- 2017.Changing Markets in Operating Systems; a socio-economic analysisTPRC 2017. George Mason University, Virginia, USA.,
- 2017.Evolving Markets in Internet Operating Systems; a socio-economic analysisITS Europe 2017. Passau, Germany,Link
- 2016.The Role of the Facebook's Free Basics Platform in Promoting Social Benefit Applications and Creating Price and Service Competition in the Market for Mobile Services. Case Studies from Latin America, Africa, and AsiaTPRC 2016. George Mason University, Virginia, USA,
- 2015.Converge in Action: A case study of the Norwegian Internet.Journal of Telematics and Informatics,Published online on the 28th August 2015Link
- 2015.Distributed Tuning of Boundary Resources: The case Apple’s iOS Service SystemSpecial Issue MISQ Journal: “Service Innovation in the Digital Age”.,March. Volume 39, Number 1:217-243
- 2012.Strategic Challenges for the European Telecom Sector: The Consequences of Imbalances in Internet Traffic.Journal of Information Policy,2:248-272
- 2012.The BlackBerry Veil: Mobile Use and Privacy Practices by Young Female SaudisJournal of Islamic Marketing,Vol 3, Issue 2. July 2012. (Awarded best annual paper by Elsevier)
- 2011.Innovation and adoption of mobile technology in public organizations: the IBGE case.Revista de Administração de Empresas,51(1). Sao Paulo, Brazil
- 2009.Towards a Taxonomy for Regulatory Issues in a Digital Business Ecosystem in the EUJournal of Information Technology,00:1-20
- 2008.Enterprise Mobility: Lessons from the FieldInformation Knowledge Systems Management Journal,vol. 7, no. 1 & 2 - Special issue on Enterprise Mobility:243-271