Research Associate, IBEI
Associate Professor, Universitat de Barcelona
Laura Chaqués Bonafont is ICREA Researcher and Professor of Political Science at the University of Barcelona, and research fellow at the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI). She is the director of the Spanish Policy Agendas Project, a research project aimed to analyze the interrelation between the governmental, parliamentarian and media agendas across time, issues, countries and levels of government. The project establishes a link between policy dynamics research and other areas of concern within political science, mainly media studies, political representation and the quality of democracy in multilevel systems of governance. It also provides new tools for the development of quantitative measurement of policy dynamics. At present her main research interests are the analysis of agenda dynamics in comparative perspective, with special reference to the impact of the media, and interest groups. In 2014 she won the ICREA prize.
Background and education
- (1992) BA in Economics, University of Barcelona
- (1997) Master in Political Science, New School for Social Research, New York
- (1999) Phd Political Economy, University of Barcelona
- policy dynamics
- Agenda Setting
- political representation in a multilevel system of governance
- interest groups
- Comparative Policy Agendas (Head of project | Contact person)
- Transparency Policy and Information Laws in a multilevel system of governance (TRANSAUTO) (Head of project)
- 2015.All news is bad news: newspaper coverage of political parties in Spain.Political Communication,32 (2):268-291
- 2015.Government-opposition dynamics in Spain under the pressure of economic collapse and the debt crisis.Journal of Legislative Studies,21 (1):75-95
- 2015.Agenda dynamics in Spain.London:Palgrave
- 2015.Diversity in the News. Interest Organisations in the Media: A Comparative Analysis in Denmark, Spain, and United Kingdom.Britisth Journal of Political Science,(forthcoming)
- 2014.Policy promises and governmental activities in Spain. In CH. Green-Pedersen; S. Walgrave (Eds) Agenda Setting, Policies and Political Systems: A Comparative approach.Chicago:Chicago University Press
- 2014.Divergence and Convergence of Policy Priorities among Sub-National Units in Federal Systems: The cases of Canada and Spain. Perspectives on Europe.
- 2013.Newspaper attention and policy activities in Spain.Journal of Public Policy,33:65-88
- 2011.Assessing the Responsiveness of Spanish Policymakers to the Priorities of their Citizens.West European Politics,34 (4):706-730
- 2011.Comparing law-making activities in a quasi-federal system of government. The case of Spain.Comparative Political Studies,44 (8):1089-1119
- 2008.Comparing Governmental Agendas: Evolution of the Prioritization of Issues in the USA and Spain.IBEI Working Papers, 2008/14.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.