Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Jacint Jordana (Granollers, 1962) is professor of Political Science and Public Administration at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra. He has a PhD in Economics (Universitat de Barcelona, 1992). He has been visiting fellow at the Copenhagen Business School, Australian National University, Wissenschafts Zentrum Berlin, University of California (San Diego) and Konstanz University. From 2005 to 2010 he was co-chair (together with David Levi-Faur) of the ECPR standing group on Regulatory Governance . Currently, he is director of the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI), an inter-university research institute devoted to international studies.
His main research area is focused to the analysis of public policies, with special emphasis being laid on regulatory policy and regulatory governance. Recent publications include articles, among others, on the diffusion of regulatory institutions, the comparative development of domestic public policies, and policy making in policy networks. His publications include the edited books "Accountability and Regulatory Governance" (Palgrave, 2014), edited with A. Bianculli adn X. fernandez-Marín, and together with David Lavi-Faur, "The politics of Regulation" (Edward Elgar, 2004) and "The rise of Regulatory Capitalism: The Global Diffusion of a New Order" (Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 598, 2005).He also has worked on topics related to collective action, policy diffusion and social capital, about which has published extensively.
Background and education
- (1992) PhD in Economics, University of Barcelona
- Collective Action and Policy Networks
- Telecommunications Policies
- Political Economy of Latin America
- Regulatory governance
- Regulatory Agencies
IBEI Research Clusters
- Regulatory Governance in Higher Education: a Comparative Analysis of Instruments, Agencies and Audiences (UNIREGOV) (Head of project)
- Explaining Global India: a multi-sectoral PhD training programme analysing the emergence of India as a global actor (GLOBAL INDIA) (Head of project)
- GREI - International Studies Research Group (Head of project | Researcher)
- LIQUID borders within the EU: in search of member states’ territorial identity and self-perception (LIQUID-EU) (Head of project | Researcher)
- 2018.Central Banks and Banking Regulation: Historical Legacies and Institutional ChallengesIn: Bach, Tobias, Wegrich, Kai (Eds.)The Blind Spots of Public Bureaucracy and the Politics of Non‐Coordination(pp. 195-216).Palgrave MacmillanLink
- 2018.Linguistic Policies and Citizens’ Claims in a Multinational State: The Case of SpainIn: Cheneval, Francis and Mónica Ferrín (Ed.)Others Alike. Citizenship in Segmented Societies and the Lessons for the EUCheltenham:Edward Elgar PublishingLink
- 2017.How to achieve full electrification: Lessons from Latin AmericaEnergy Policy,Volume 108, September 2017:55–69Link
- 2017.European Union Agencies: A transnational logic?.IBEI Working Papers, 2017/54.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
- 2016.Are regulatory agencies independent in practice? Evidence from board members in Spain.Regulation & Governance,10 (3):230-247. DOI: 10.1111/rego.12084Link
- 2016.When regional innovation policies meet policy rationales and evidence: a plea for policy analysisEuropean Planning Studies,Volume 24, 2016 - Issue 12Link
- 2015.International Networks as Drivers of Agency Independence: The Case of the Spanish Nuclear Safety Council.Administration and Society,Link
- 2015.Accountability and Regulatory Governance.Kensington:PalgraveLink
- 2014.When do Autonomous Banking Regulators Promote Stability?European Journal of Political Research,53 (4)Link
- 2014.Multiple Crisis and Policy Dismantling in Spain: Political Strategies and Distributive Implications.Political Studies Review,12 (2)Link
- 2013.The unattainable politics of child benefits policy in SpainJournal of European Social Policy,23 (5):504-520; doi:10.1177/0958928713499176Link
- 2011.The Institutional Development of Latin American Regulatory StateIn: D. Levi-Faur (Ed)Handbook on the Politics of RegulationEdwar Elgar:CheltenhamLink
- 2010.Delegation, Presidential Regimes and Latin American Regulatory Agencies.Journal of Politics in Latin America,2 (1)Link
- 2009.The Global Diffusion of Regulatory Agencies: Channels of Transfer and Stages of Diffusion.IBEI Working Papers, 2009/28.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
- 2006.Regulation in the Age of Globalization: The Diffusion of Regulatory Agencies across Europe and Latin.IBEI Working Papers, 2006/1.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.