Ixchel Pérez Duran
Postdoctoral Researcher Juan de la Cierva-Incorporación
I am a Juan de la Cierva-Formación Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI). My research interests focus on accountability, welfare regimes, regulation, the European Union, European Union agencies and national regulatory agencies.
I received a PhD in Political and Social Sciences from Pompeu Fabra University in December 2013 (European Doctorate Mention). My PhD dissertation entitled “Accountability for public policies: the case of health policy in Spain” is an original contribution to the analysis, measurement and explanation of accountability for public policies.
Before joining to IBEI, I was a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Political Science and Public Law at Autonomous University of Barcelona in a research project on the role of the European Parliament in the accountability of European Union agencies. I also did several research stays at Leiden University, University of Antwerp, Utrecht University School of Governance, and the European University Institute.
Parts of my research have appeared in Regulation & Governance, West European Politics, European Political Science Review, Journal of European Public Policy and International Review of Administrative Sciences, among others.
Background and education
- (2013) PhD in Political and Social Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- European Union agencies
- National regulatory agencies
- European Parliament
IBEI Research Clusters
- Regulatory Governance in Higher Education: a Comparative Analysis of Instruments, Agencies and Audiences (UNIREGOV) (Researcher)
- Transparency Policy and Information Laws in a multilevel system of governance (TRANSAUTO) (Researcher)
- Self-government and accountability for social policies (Head of project | Researcher | Contact person)
- 2019.Political and stakeholder’s ties in European Union agenciesJournal of European Public Policy,26 (1):1-22Link
- 2018.Interest group representation in the formal design of European Union agencies.Regulation & Governance,12 (2):238–262Link
- 2018.European transboundary crises and EU agencies: Examining board members' attitudes towards crisis involvement.IBEI Working Papers, 2018/55.Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals.
- 2017.Explaining accountability for public policies: an fsQCA analysis of health policy in SpainEuropean Political Science Review,9 (3):329-350Link
- 2016.Accountability from the perspective of the forum: Citizens' attitudes towards accountability in Europe.'West European Politics,39 (4):835-858Link
- 2016.The European Parliament oversight of EU agencies through parliamentary questions.Journal of European Public Policy,23 (9):1349-1366Link
- 2016.Health Care Inequality in Spain, the Health Delivery System and the Public Private Sector Mix.Global Social Welfare,3 (3):179-191Link
- 2016.Assessing formal accountability for public policies: The case of health policy in Spain.International Review of Administrative Sciences,82(4):784-806Link
- 2015.SpainIn: H. Palley and K. Fierlbeck (eds.)Comparative Health Care FederalismAshgate Publishers. ISBN 978-1-4724-3231-5Link