Our website uses its own and third parties cookies for a high level of user-friendliness. If you continue to browse and  use this website we will assume that you agree with the policies.

International Applicants

Please keep in mind that all documents issued in any other language than Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Italian or Portuguese must be accompanied by a sworn translation. You will find a list of the official translators authorized by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs by clicking here

Legalization of your undergraduate degree

Depending on the country in which your undergraduate degree was issued, your academic transcript and the certified copy of your university degree must be legalized.

The correct order is the following:

  • Always legalize your original diploma (via the Hague Apostille or diplomatic/consular channels).
  • Translate the previously legalized diploma.
  • Make a certified or notarized copy of the diploma after completing the previous two steps.

The legalization of a degree and the academic transcript depends on the agreement signed between Spain and the origin country. 

Students with a degree outside the European Union and the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) have to pay the corresponding fee to access the Master’s programme for foreign graduates without an approved title: 54,54€.

This and other payments can be made online on the Academic Procedures section.

European Union Member States

If you are a holder of a University degree obtained within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) in a European Union Member State or a signatory of the Agreement on the European Economic Area, your university diploma and transcript need to bear the official seal of the university that issued these documents.

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom. Also Switzerland by bilateral agreement.

Signatory states of the Hague Agreement of 5 October 1961

If you are a holder of a university degree obtained in any of the countries ascribed to the Hague Agreement, your undergraduate university diploma and transcript must bear the Hague Apostille. The recognition and the Apostille must have been affixed to the original document before you have the photocopy certified. 

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Cabo Verde, Chile, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Macao, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malawi, the Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldavia, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Namibia, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Niue, Oman, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Rep. of Korea, Russian Federation, Samoa, San Marino, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vicente and the Grenadines, Santa Lucia, Santo Tomé & Principe, Seychelles, South Africa, Surinam, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United States of America, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela.

Extensions: The Netherlands (Dutch Antilles); United Kingdom (Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey, Isle of Man, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, Cayman Islands, The Falklands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Santa Elena, Turks and Caicos Islands, Virgin Islands).

All other Countries

Documents issued in all other countries must be legalized through diplomatic channels. This sort of legalization consists of a series of stamps and signatures in which each one certifies the previous one. The legalization must be affixed to the original document before the certified copy is made. It is important for the certified copy to containall the stamps and signatures that appear on the original certificate, even if they are on the back. Missing one seal/stamp would result in an incomplete legalization and the document would thus not be considered legalized in Spain.

  1. Recognition of the signatures by the Ministry of Education: You must first get the original document authenticated by the Ministry of Education in the country where the degree was issued.
  2. Legalization by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Once you have obtained the stamp recognizing the signatures, you must submit the same documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued, which will affix the corresponding legalization to the document.
  3. Legalization by the Spanish consulate/embassy in the country where the documents were issued: Finally, you must take the documents to the Spanish consulate in the country where the certificates were issued to recognize the legalization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Spanish Embassy or Consulate will put a transparent security sticker on the document to verify the prior seals. 


  • Canada: university qualifications only need the stamps of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Canada (Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade) and the stamp of the diplomatic or consular representation of Spain in that country (Consulado General de España), as described in this link.