We use our own and third-party cookies to perform an analysis of use and measurement of our website, to improve our services, as well as to facilitate personalized advertising by analysing your browsing habits and preferences. You can change the settings of cookies or get more information, see cookies policy. I understand and accept the use of cookies.

icono de curso

Development cooperation in Practice

9039 (ISS-IBEI)

Credits: 4 ECTS

Second semester

Compulsory courses




The course focuses on how Development Cooperation works in practice. It complements the courses of Political Economy for Development and of Governance of International Development. It builds on the experience gathered by Mr. Riera throughout his professional experience in the European Commission as a Director of Development Cooperationand and as a member of the board of different international organisations such as The Global Fund and the Global Partnership on Education. While reviewing the evolving International Cooperation architecture the course will focus on implementation matters.

The starting point of the course is the significant change brought about in the Development Agenda worldwide by the three far reaching Conferences which took place in 2015 : The Climate Change Conference of Paris in December, the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development agreed in the UNGA in September and  the Addis Conference on  Financing for Development of August 2015 in Addis .They represent  a major change in the Development paradigm for the coming years and will be one of the key topics adressed in the course

New actors and new partnerships have been called upon to play a much higher role in the development endeavour,  changing significantly the overall international setting. The course will review how development partners work in practice and through which means of implementation, and analyse  how they are  adjusting to the new Agenda.


Units 1 to 6 will be introduced by Mr Riera and students will be expected to participate actively in the class. Units 7 to 10 which focus on the different development actors will be intoduced by the students who will be asked to choose a topic related to a particular Unit. These presentations and class participation will account for 40 % of the final grade. The remaining 60 % will be based on a 8-10 page paper.