Consuelo Thiers is a Fellow in International Security at the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals – IBEI. Previously, she worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Ghent University, Belgium. She holds a PhD from the University of Edinburgh (Scotland, UK) and a Master’s degree in International Studies from Universidad de Chile.
Her research interests include enduring interstate rivalries, political psychology, foreign policy analysis, and the psychological assessment of political leaders. She also has a particular interest in the foreign policies of the Southern Cone countries of Latin America.
Her research focuses on the application of psychologically oriented and agent-based approaches to understanding decision making in International Relations. Currently, she is particularly keen to conduct research that helps expand the understanding of the role of emotions in shaping policymakers’ decisions in international conflicts.
Background and education
- (2020) PhD in Politics and International Relations, University of Edinburgh
- (2013) MA in International Studies, Universidad de Chile
- (2006) BA in Psychology, Universidad de Chile
Professional memberships & affiliations
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- At-Large Officer of the ISA - Foreign Policy Analysis Section
- Political Psychology
- Foreign Policy Analysis
- Political Leaders
- Latin America
- Interstate Rivalries
IBEI Research Clusters
- 2023.Britain’s COVID-19 battle: The role of political leaders in shaping the responses to the pandemic.The British Journal of Politics and International Relations,Link
- 2022.The personality traits of populist leaders and their foreign policies: Hugo Chavez and Donald Trump.International Studies Quarterly,Volume 66, Issue 1Link
- 2021.One Step Forward, Two Steps Back: The Steering Effects of Operational Code Beliefs in the Chilean-Bolivian Rivalry.In:
Mark Schafer and Stephen G. Walker (eds.).Operational Code Analysis and Foreign Policy Roles: Crossing Simon’s Bridge.Routledge.Link
- 2020.Profiling Leaders in Spanish.In:
Brummer, Klaus; Young, Michael D; Özdamar, Özgur; Canbolat, Sercan; Thiers, Consuelo; Rabini, Christian; Dimmroth, Katharina; Hansel, Mischa; Mehvar, Ameneh.Forum: Coding in Tongues: Developing Non-English Coding Schemes for Leadership Profiling.International Studies Review. Volume 22, Issue 4.Link
- 2016.Social Group Dynamics and Patterns of Latin American Integration Processes.Revista de Estudios Sociales,60Link