Alba Huidobro Torres
Predoctoral Fellow FPI
Alba Huidobro is a PhD candidate in the program Political and Social Sciences at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, under the supervision of Dr. Aina Gallego. She is graduated in Political Science and Public Administration, and Master in Research in Political Science from Universitat Pompeu Fabra. Her specialization is in the study of political behaviour of citizens and political leaders, electoral systems and multilevel governance through quantitative research methods.
Currently, she is a pre-doctoral fellow from the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness (FPI), linked to the project LEADERS at the Barcelona Institute of International Studies (IBEI). Her thesis "The Effects of Leaders on Coalition Governments" focuses on the mechanisms of formation of post-electoral coalitions and to what extent these are defined by the attitudes and individual characteristics of the political leaders.
Background and education
- (2017 - Present) PhD in Political Science, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- (2015 - 2016) Research Master in Political Science, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- (2010 - 2014) BSc in Political and Administation Science, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Political Behaviour
- Political Leaders
- Electoral Systems
- Multilevel governance
IBEI Research Clusters
Invited lectures and conferences
- 2019. EuroWEPS Workshop, Copenhagen (Denmark) May 2019. European Workshop in Empirical Political Science in Copenhagen Business School. Paper: "Do you have what it takes? Quasi-experimental evidence on the efect of gender and age on bargaining over government formation" (with Albert Falcó-Gimeno)
- 2019. ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops, Mons (Belgium) April 2019. Paper: "The Effect of Leaders on Coalition Governments: Evidence from a Conjoint Experiment"
- 2019. EUI Political Behaviour Colloquium, Florence (Italy) January 2019. Paper: "Do you have what it takes? Quasi-experimental evidence on the e ect of gender and age on bargaining over government formation" (with Albert Falcó-Gimeno).
- 2019. 9th Annual Conference of EPSA, Belfast (United Kingdom) June 2019. Paper: "The Efect of Leaders on Coalition Governments: Evidence from a Conjoint Experiment".
- 2018. 8th Annual Conference of European Political Science Association (EPSA), Vienna, June 2018. Paper: (with Beltrán, J. and Gallego, A.) “Sexism against female politicians on Twitter: A machine learning approach”.
Work in progress
- "Do you have what it takes? Quasi-experimental evidence on the e ect of gender and age on bargaining over government formation" (with Albert Falcó-Gimeno).
- "The Effect of Leaders on Coalition Governments: Evidence from a Conjoint Experiment'.
- "Male and Female Politicians in Twitter: A Machine Learning Approach" (with Javier Beltran, Aina Gallego, Lluís Padro and Enrique Romero), Under Review.
- "Unemployment Experiences of Political Elites and their Social Policy Preferences" (with Aina Gallego).