Vacancy: Postdoctoral position (REPGOV project) - CLOSED
The Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI) invites applications for a postdoctoral research fellowship (5-year contract, full time). The position will be based in Barcelona. Successful applicant will form part of the research project “REPGOV: Representative Government through Democratic Governance”, funded by the ERC (European Research Council) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program (grant agreement No 101020966). The project is led by Professor Anthony Bertelli. REPGOV connects the practice of governance with representative government by developing a novel theoretical framework and empirically evaluating its predictions in the context of contemporary Europe. It conducts qualitative work, analyzes documents using machine learning algorithms, and implements lab and survey experiments in four European countries.
Qualifications and Skills:
- A PhD in public policy or a cognate field is required, but for very strong candidates, the degree may be conferred after the start date;
- Teaching and management experience in an academic environment or international organization is preferred;
- Research expertise in mixed methods designs, particularly those combining qualitative and experimental methods is preferred;
- A background in law is preferred;
- A regional specialization on Southern Europe is preferred and
- Fluency in English is required, and fluency in French or Italian is preferred.
Key responsibilities: The postdoctoral researcher will contribute to all elements of the project, from theory-building to its empirical components. The postdoctoral researcher will also conduct qualitative research in Italy, supervise MA and PhD students as well as occasional student researchers working for the project. The researcher will also play a coordinating role among all researchers on various aspects of the project and will disseminate project outputs to a variety of stakeholders.
Applications must be submitted by 20 October 2021
Please send the following two documents to firstname.lastname@example.org (Carlos Sanchez. Research coordinator at IBEI):
- Document 1: a cover letter + CV + a proposal that sketches your own research interests(1500 words, excluding references) + names and contact information for 3 referees, all in one PDF.
- Document 2: a writing sample (either a journal article with you as the lead author or a dissertation chapter) as another PDF.