Euro-Asia Summer School
The online summer school will consists of several activities taking into account that we work in different timezones. These activities include:
- A Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on the Sustainable Development Goals bringing together 30 experts. The MOOC will be run on the edX Platform. The MOOC can be followed throughout and scheduled individually. It is important that you follow the MOOC modules before the online live sessions. More information on the MOOC is available here.
- A series of online lectures and debates with leading experts on selected SDG topics.
- SDG topics will be organised over ZOOM.
- An opportunity to work with fellow students from Europe and Asia and develop your own perspective on the SDGs which will be presented and discussed.
- Students are also strongly recommended to follow the first 4 modules of the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Sustainable Trade. More information here: https://www.edx.org/course/sustainable-trade
- Online Live Session (10am-12am CET): Online Introductory Session: Dr. Axel Marx, Ms. Charline Depoorter
- Introduction on the theme of the summer school
- Introduction on the MOOC on the SDGs
- Virtual meeting of all the students
- Structure of the course
- Information on group assignment
- MOOC Module 1: The origin, development and idea of the SDGs.
History and origins of the Sustainable Development Goals. What are the SDGs? What are their aims, methodology and perspectives? How are they related to the Millennium Development Goals?
- Online Live Session (10 am-12am CET): Dr. Axel Marx on 'Sustainable Trade: Possibilities and Limitation of Trade Policy to Achieve the SDGs'
- MOOC Module 2: SDGs and Society: Ensuring resilience and primary needs in society. In-depth discussion and analysis of goals related to poverty, hunger, health & well-being and education.
- MOOC Module 3: SDGs and Society: Strengthening Institutions for Sustainability. In-depth discussion and analysis of goals related to gender equality, affordable and clean energy, sustainable cities & communities, and peace, justice & strong institutions.
- Online Live Session (10am-12am CET): Prof. Dr. Sumie Nakaya on ‘SDGs in the time of global uncertainty.’
- MOOC Module 4: SDGs and the Economy: Shaping a Sustainable Economy
In-depth discussion and analysis of goals related to work & economic growth, industry, innovation & infrastructure, inequalities, responsible production & consumption.
- MOOC Module 5: SDGs and the Biosphere: Development within Planetary Boundaries. In-depth discussion and analysis of goals related to clean water, climate, life below water and life on land.
- Online Live Session (10am-12am CET): Prof. Hyeok Jeong on 'The SDGs and the Economy: Shaping a Sustainable Economy'
- MOOC Module 6: Realizing the SDGs: Implementation through Global Partnerships
In-depth discussion and analysis of SDG 17 which aims to implement the SDGs through partnerships, finance, technology and the development of coherence between policies.
- Online Live Session (10am-12am CET): Prof. Dr. Robert Kissack on 'SDG 11: Cities on the Frontline: Managing the coronavirus crisis'
- Online Live Presentations and discussions by students on the SDG's (10am-2pm CET)